Besides the fact that the use of LNG in combination with diesel reduces carbon footprint and fuel cost, Dual Fuel operation is also an ideal way of controlling the combustion process. The tuneability of the diesel pilot injection is used to shape the combustion process in a thermodynamic ideal way which spark ignition could never achieve. By shaping the combustion process ArenaRed is able to reduce the emissions by controlling the peak temperature of combustion.
The DOCAT 3500AR engine, modified by ArenaRed, is able to run in Dual Fuel mode as well as diesel only mode. In Dual Fuel mode the engine typically uses around 95% natural gas and 5% diesel.
Why a Diesel Pilot Injection Is an Excellent Ignition Principle
- The tuneability of the diesel MicroPilot injection can be used to shape the combustion process in a thermodynamically optimal way which could never be achieved with spark ignition.
- Hydrogen can be used as main energy carrying fuel.
- Due to the strong ignition of a diesel MicroPilot it prevents misfires. Misfires in a gas engine create significant methane slip.
- A net zero carbon footprint is achieved when biodiesel (HVO) is used.
- Soot emission are similar to or lower than spark ignition engines.
- A diesel injector is more durable than a spark plug. Sparkplugs have a lifetime of 3.000 hours while a low pressure pilot injector can run for 30.000 hours without maintenance. The total cost of ownership will be ten times lower than a conventional spark ignition installation.
- We believe that the diesel MicroPilot in combination with CPBC provides the next step to realize Euro-6 emissions engine out.
- We believe it is possible to finally reduce the diesel share from 5% to 1% and maintain the excellent results which ArenaRed has achieved with 5% diesel. This is one of ArenaRed’s future research steps.
Disclaimer © Copyright 2018 ArenaRed